Falafel is a very popular fast food in the Middle East specially in the Arab World and is slowly becoming popular all over the world. Falafel comes in the shape or balls or are slightly flattened and served along with pita bread. Israeli falafel is an important part of a Jewish diet and is the national food of Israel but historically it is an Arabic dish. It is served along with humus on a salad. Here is how to make your own falafel:
Israeli Falafel: Recipe I
- 1 cup dried chickpeas
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic chopped finely
- 3 tsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp flour
- Oil for frying
- Place the chickpeas in a bowl and cover with water. Allow to soak overnight. Drain the chickpeas, place in a pan with fresh water and allow to boil. Boil for 5 minutes and thereafter let it simmer on low for about an hour. Drain and allow it to cool for about an hour. Combine the chickpeas, garlic, onion, cumin, salt and pepper in a medium sized bowl. Now add the flour.
- Mash the chickpeas together and make sure to mix the ingredients together well. The result should be in the form of a thick paste. Make small balls with this paste. Flatten them slightly. Deep fry until golden brown. This should take around 5 minutes.
- Falafel can be served with humus and tahini. Stuff the pita bread with falafel, lettuce, tomato or whatever salad you like and the seasoning of your choice. Falafel is healthy and has high protein content owing to the chickpeas. Also if you find that your falafel doesn’t have the right consistency and is not staying together you can add a little more flour until you feel the consistency is correct. Also vary the salt and pepper as per your taste.
- 8 oz chick peas (not canned, please. See note at the end.)
- 3 Tablespoons Wheatmeal or Cracked wheat or Burguhl.
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin 2 tablespoon fresh coriander, chopped as fine as possible.
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Soak chick peas in water for 8 hours. Drain and grind.
- Soak Wheatmeal or substitute in water for 2 hours. Drain and grind.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Form balls about 3/4 inch diameter.
- Deep fry until golden brown (best fried in a net or a deep fryer).
- Serve in/with vegan pita bread, Hummus, Tahini sauce, tomatoes-cucumbers-parsley-lemon juice salad. Save me some.
See more falafel recipes from the Middle East Cuisine:
- Lebanese Falafel: Try the Lebanese version of doing falafel using chickpeas.
- Egyptian Falafel: Try the Egyptian version of doing falafel using fava beans .
- Palestinian Falafel: Try the Palestinian version of doing falafel using chickpeas.
- Israeli Falafel: Try the Israeli version of doing falafel using chickpeas.
- Falafel Sauce
- Falafel sandwiches